Forum side menu

Stay up to date with the latest Mysgardia and Grynn's Fairy Tales news and announcements!
Mysgardia
NPC
NPC

Forum side menu

Postby Mysgardia » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:26 am

If you're reading this there's a very, very good chance you've already seen it, but the forum now has a menu on the left side. It can be collapsed and expanded with the pink arrow button at the top, and leads to various places around Mysgardia!

The only one which we're having a bit of trouble implementing is a link to the Sanctuary, but we're hoping to add it in eventually as well :)

This sidebar is another little preview for the new Mysgardia, which will have the same sidebar. Let us know what you think!

Zero
Novice
Novice

Re: Forum side menu

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:15 am

I like it
I had to do a hard refresh to fix my page because it had it all messed up at first
I offend forget about this forum.

Fae
Non-Staff Artists
Non-Staff Artists

Postby Fae » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:31 am

overall its nice. even if i can read waht theey are, some of the icons are abit confusing imo. like why is the eggnest not just an egg icon? I also think this real clean modern black n white interface kind of clashes with the visuals we've seen so far on mysgardia but i'm positive whatever more u have planned will work well! i do hope this means both the forum and the main site is getting some major redesigns, i do not like ui that has several buttons on the same page that do the same thing

Manewa
Moderator | Writer
Moderator | Writer

Postby Manewa » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:58 am

I agree with Fae there, it looks kinda cold and business-like if you know what I mean, but the idea is nice, and it seems to work well, on computer at least.

However, there is an issue with small screens apparently. This is what happens when I open the forum with my phone. It cuts the menu in half, and even in landscape view it seems the screen's too small to show the whole sidebar, and the extended version cuts off weirdly as well, which pretty much makes it unusable.
I've been a thousand places
and shook a million hands
I don't know where I'm going
But I know just where I've been
I've walked a million miles
and rowed so many more
Everyday a castaway, a vagabond,
Battleborn
-Five Finger Death Punch - Battleborn

Rhynn
Admin | Artist | Writer
Admin | Artist | Writer

Postby Rhynn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm

The icons are all from this list, meaning we're somewhat limited in the options. By using icons from there, it all remains good quality and clear no matter the screen size, and it has some other more technical advantages.
However, it does indeed give a somewhat modern, business-like look indeed, especially with the dark background. We'll keep that in mind as we work on the site! The whole reason we're releasing small things ahead of time is to get feedback so we can make things even better, so please keep it coming :D I'm not against replacing the icons with custom ones if the consensus is that it just doesn't work this way and forgoing the technical advantages :)

Fae, the forum is not likely to get a redesign any time soon; in fact we're working towards making the main site look a lot more like the forum. Would you be willing to share your feedback about the current forum design? In a PM if that's more comfortable for you :)
The request for feedback goes for everyone; we already got a lot of very good insight from the questionnaire of course but we're always looking for more feedback ;)

Manewa, thanks for showing me that - I have to admit I completely forgot about testing it on mobile and smaller screens. I'll have a look at it!
Want to support me? Image

Fae
Non-Staff Artists
Non-Staff Artists

Postby Fae » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:00 pm

oh now that i read what i wrote it sounded a bit like i was super displeased with the forum and thats not true.
my first thought was that it felt weird to keep the horizontal bar on the top and the new vertical bar, i kinda felt like youd want the one or the other. but on further thinking about it, im not even sure it would even look good without some kind of horizontal bar so ?? maybe if they look a bit more simillar it will flow better. I get that they do different things but as they are now, theres a homepage and a forum page on both bars which i think is kinda too much, but ofc this is easily fixed.
it was mainly this, sorry i made it sound like I had some major problems with the forums layout, bcus i do not :oops: if the main page is gonna go more towards this type of layout im all for it. Rly my main problem is real minor and easily fixed, but i thought i'd explain my thoughtprocess :oops:
kind of related but not rly: is it just me thats annoyed by the fact that theres a button to the mainpage on the horizonal bar, but then the logo just above it also directs to the mainpage?? i keep clicking it thinking it will refresh the forum lol

Rhynn
Admin | Artist | Writer
Admin | Artist | Writer

Postby Rhynn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Aah okay :) That does explain it a bit better yes ^_^

The logo and the mainpage always link to the same place, unless I go deep into the code :) But now that we have the sidebar, there's already a link to the main site, so the one up there can go!
Want to support me? Image

Himora
Novice
Novice

Postby Himora » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:11 pm

I love the new sidebar! One thing about the site (Mysgardia itself not the forums) that I always think of when logging in is my difficulty getting around. Thank you for this!

Return to “News & Announcements”